Mittwoch, 11. Mai 2011

ereyesterday and overmorrow

Illustration class at my university is... weird. but luckily very free. The teacher tries to show us new ways and not always fall back on the techniques we know.
In the end i tend to use the techniques I know best for the final product anyways. I dont trust the universal random-button.

I want to show you how these two illustrations came into being:


Illustration Overmorrow, gabrieldevue
Illustration, gabrieldevue


The first assignment was to illustrate "yesterday" (we work in German. So it was "gestern"). The way this class works, we were pushed to illustrate past time not literally yesterday. I had a Nintendo 3DS in my pocket that counted my steps. They were exactly 2113. Finally i decided to print those 2113 steps witht he soles of the shoes i wore that day. I chose a cheap and accessible paper i had lying around:


So my final for that day was:


This kind of art is not what i particually like. But as the professor pointed out, these shapes were a big source for inspiration. For the next topic i tried to create shapes.



But it boiled down to the single heel-prints:


The next topic was "Übermorgen" ("the day after tomorrow"). Since i did not like writing "Übermorgen" i researched and found the deleted words "overmorrow" and "ereyesterday". These words sound so great and are fun to write. I went with them. And voilá!

the illustrations are drawn on thin ikea-wrapping paper, because i liked the feel of it (and i unwrapped something right before working). I printed those Illustrations on see-through, eh... foil? paper? later and created more shapes. When overlapping the illustrations, they create a circle again and there - everything is whole. Like time! How philosophical. But actually... its no accident. Yay! But i will never learn to let the random do my work.


but this is random:
i scribbled this face while talking on the phone and liked it. so i put it on transparent paper, highlighted the back of the paper with white and glued it to dark blue colored paper.

this is just a test. i find it hard to draw an etherial light figure next to a high contrasted one. i wonder how ye olde masters did it with almost black backgrounds and glowing angels. have to test more.



Thank you for stopping by!
gab

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen